Electricity from Solar PV panels is now
affordable in the Northeast and maintenance free!
- Do not need freeze or heat protection.
- Do not need water or pumps to function.
- Have no moving parts and the failure rate of PV modules is 0%.
Important PV Facts
- PV in some areas of the US has reached grid parity with fossil fuels/nuclear energy.
- In 2011, PV installations in the US reached a new record level. In the next 5 to 10 years, solar energy added to the US electrical grid will be larger than fossil fuels and nuclear energy combined.
- Northeast Solar and Wind Power supports many smaller PV installations in different locations as opposed to one large one. This will help any utility company deal with the intermittent power from solar PV on a cloudy day.
NES&WP recommends against solar modules on a residential, commercial or industrial roof that is over ten years old or not vented properly. We suggest your building be inspected by a qualified/experienced BPI air sealing/insulation expert before going solar.
Types of installation in order of preference
Ground mounting Solar PV should be your first choice whenever possible. Ground or pole mounted keeps modules cooler and increases their electrical output. There are many different ways to ground mount solar panels that include using solar panels to shade large or small parking areas.
Building integrated PV:
Solar panels can be integrated into the architecture of any building because diffuse sunlight will travel through the panels. In some cases the back of the solar panels will be exposed to a large cool air mass.
Advances in mounting solar panels to roofs will prevent a roof from leaking when penetrations are made in the roof. Ballast roof mounting systems do not require roof penetrations. These installations in some cases exposes the panels to cool air increasing the electrical efficiency of the panels.
Micro inverters OR POWER OPTIMIZERs and commercial and industrial buildings
This technology is applicable in buildings that use 208 three phase power.
Each three phase micro inverter circuit can hold up to 25 60 cell solar modules. A minimum of three solar modules will balance the circuit.